Tips for Marketing Your Home
The prospect of marketing your home and selling your home fast can be daunting especially in today’s economy. However, these guidelines will make the transition to your new home at University Village faster and easier. Give yourself the competitive advantage!
When selling your home, be sure to work with an agency that has a positive track record marketing and selling homes in your area. Seek referrals from reputable sources* and ask for client references. Take time to compare company services. Seek answers to these key criteria:
- Know how the commission is paid and distributed.
- Know your agency's sale process and discuss the timeline.
- Request that your agent review all documents, contracts, disclosures, disclaimers, and inspection reports.
- Agree on the best communication vehicle: telephone, cell, email, etc.
- Ask questions to help you make informed decisions.
Price your property appropriately. How do you conquer the challenge of under or over-pricing your home, and are you pricing to sell your home fast, or do you have time to wait out a longer sale process? How do you know the market response to ensure you benefit from the optimum value? Analyzing these items with your realtor will provide answers to help you arrive at the best price:
- Review the comparable market analysis
- Certain inspection reports can impact your pricing strategy
- As the seller understand your Net Sheet (projects the estimated costs of sale)
- Keep apprised of your home’s marketing activity including:
- Newly available comparable properties
- Recent sales activity of area properties
- Price reductions on comparable properties
- Expired or cancelled listings
- Feedback from other sales agents and potential purchasers
- Review your home’s pricing strategy with your realtor as needed
Understand your agencies marketing plan/strategy. What is the agency doing to sell your home fast?
- What marketing resources they are using to alert potential buyers:
- Is it shown on the Internet?
- Exposure to a broker network and wider audience?
- If your home is a lusury home, expect a customized marketing plan such as:
- Photography, brochures, and postcards
- Exposure in magazines and publications
- Exposure on featured websites and virtual web tours
- Expect your realtor to communicate with you on a regular basis.
Prepare your property for market. Make your property as attractive as possible. Remember, first impressions do count!
- Cosmetic changes can enhance your properties value. Your agent can recommend the areas to invest your efforts and money such as:
- Clearing the yard
- Interior and exterior repairs
- Staging Sells - experienced agents and interior decorators know the techniques to utilize that will make your home most attractive to potential buyers. Here are some tips from the experts:
- Depersonalize your home: create a general buyer appeal
- Minimize: declutter furniture and kitchen to showcase the rooms
- Remove furnishings to make rooms look open and spacious
- Pack away your personal knick knacks for your new home
- Give the house a special head-to-toe cleaning
- Enhance a room's height and/or size
- Follow suggestions to camouflage imperfections
- Landscape to create curb appeal
- Create a "wow" factor just like you feel walking into a new model home
Negotiate the sale of your property.
- Verify that your agent and other brokers are bringing qualified buyers.
- Review potential scenarios with your agent in advance to minimize surprises and confirm that you are in agreement with the strategy.
- Review the conditions of an offer and the impact on the potential transaction with your agent.
- Work with your agent to outline a counter-offer if needed.
- Review the Net Sheet and calculations based on the negotiated sales price.
Meet deadlines from contract to closing.
- Stay informed about the escrow, required inspections, the closing date, and contingency plans.
- Request the agent to keep you informed of the closing process.
- Discuss marketing for back-up contracts and implement as needed.
- Receive copies of all documentation.
Enjoy your new home at University Village!
*University Village can recommend reputable and successful agents in the Tampa Bay area.